Thursday, April 22, 2010

movie autism

Is there such a thing as "movie autism"? Because movies usually don’t impact me the way they should. It’s like when I watch a movie, I watch my own private version of the movie, instead of the actual movie. I’m scared by stuff that weren’t supposed to be scary, and I cry when I’m not supposed to cry.

For instance, I cried buckets through all of How To Train Your Dragon. I'm saying I cried in almost every scene, and it isn’t even close to being an emotional tear-jerker (for what it's worth, dramas seldom if ever made me cry). And the scariest movie I’ve ever seen in my life is... 2001: A Space Odyssey. I watched back when I was 14 and it gave me a month of sleepless nights. I remember I was terrified of silence for months after seeing it. I really think that movie is the most psychologically disturbing piece of mindfuck ever made.

A friend at work was telling me how he doesn’t like David Lynch’s storytelling. Out of his movies I’ve only seen Mulholland Drive and I thoroughly enjoyed the plot, or whatever I made out of it. In fact, if that movie hadn’t scared the crap out of me, I would have watched every other David Lynch film. The only one I saw made me a fan... maybe since I don’t watch movies themselves, but rather the autistic creations of my mind, bizarreness isn’t all that of a turn off. I can’t wait for Alice in Wonderland. It opens this week here.

No comments:

Post a Comment