Monday, November 23, 2009

the "bara" phenomenon‏

I've just noticed today at work that, after so many years of Western exposure, somebody wrote a great entry on "bara" for Wikipedia. I remember how it took several years for it to be even mentioned on the "yaoi" entry, and now it has its own full-fledged section, filled of references and all that stuff! Shame we don't get to know the author (although I do have a few guesses), because I would love to congratulate the effort of whoever did that. Gay manga has become such an important part of my life I can't imagine myself living without it. Together with videogame, it's the hobby I devote the most of my time to.

The number of people who learn of "bara" every day never fails to impress me. Often when checking the bara board (now in a new address) I see some Anonymous requesting years-old Takeshi Matsu scans, or asking "source" or "MOAR" on 101 stuff like Gai Mizuki, Shoutaroh Kojima or even Jiraiya. Since it's an anonymous board you have no way of knowing the person behind those posts, but from their request you can tell they are new to the scene.

"Bara" is a term I've long despised, but as you grow older you learn to accept things you once strongly opposed - I'm growing used to it. I am lucky enough to be part of the small, nostalgic group who witnessed its discovery and early divulgation by a few trailblazers and their treasured scans (for which I'll be eternally grateful), and now it's pretty much a given that any gay nerd will come to know of it, probably very soon during their netlives.

Almost brings a tear to my eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment